The Gourmand Awards are the major Food Culture event in the world held annually since 1995. It is like a culinary Olympics, where this year (2018) three Monaco related books were selected to the shortlist of the finalists.
In 2018 there were entries from 215 countries and regions for this exceptional culinary distinction and the jury just announced the category shortlists for the Gourmand Awards, featuring the book of Bradley Mitton and Zsolt Szemerszky in two different categories as well. Notably, other categories are also featuring further two titles from the Principality of Monaco.
Signature Dishes of the Principality of Monaco is a distinctive publication highlighting the exceptional culinary scene of the Principality, whilst focusing on gastronomical specialities and offering an overview of the heritage of Monaco.
The publication is in competition with the following international titles in the B12 category:
- Belgium – Gert De Mengeleer unplugged,(Luster)
- China – Simplissime (PHEI) 9787121313622
- Cyprus – Cyprus Culinary Journey, in Russian, Marianne Salentin-Traeger
- France – Cuisine & Dietetique Occident Arabe Medieval, Catherine Guillaumond (Harmattan)
- El Salvador – Sabores Deliciosos, Alicia Maher (Pacific Apicius)
- Iran – Pomegranates and Roses, Ariana Bundy (Rowzanesh)
- Mexico – Flavors of Nayarit, Alondra Maldonado (Paz Mexico)
- Monaco – Signature Dishes of the Principality of Monaco, Bradley Milton, Zsolt Szemerszky (Createspace)
- Netherlands – Green Kitchen at Home, David Frenkiel, Luise Vindahl (Becht)
- Portugal – Manger comme un Portugais, Lucy Pepper, Celia Pedroso (Lua de Papel)
- Russia – I love to eat Fruits and Vegetables (Kid Kiddos -Canada)
- South Korea – On va deguster, Translator Hyo Jong Kang (Citron Macaron)
- Spain – Mallorca in der Kuche, Margalida Castella (Souveir)
- Sweden – Nordisk Kokbok, Magnus Nilsson (Max Strom)
- Syria – Scents and Flavors, Charles Perry (Library of Arab Literature)
- Taiwan – Jerusalem, Ottolenghi, Tamimi (Morningstar)
- USA – Mouthfeel, Ole G. Mouritsen (Columbia University)
And it also competes in the Mediterranean cookbooks category:
- Australia – Greek Life, Eugenia Pantahos
- Belize – Nefry’s Kitchen, Nefretery Nancy Marin
- Cyprus – Cyprus Food Treasures, Marilena Joannides (Marilenio)
- France – Ma Cuisine Algerienne, Sherazade Laoudedj (Solar)
- Gibraltar – Cocina de Gibraltar, Mama Lottie’s, Justin Bautista
- Monaco – Signature Dishes of the Principality of Monaco, Bradley Milton, Zsolt Szemerszky, Olga Taran (Createspace)
- New Zealand – The Adriatic Kitchen, Barbara Unkovic (Exisle)
- Palestine – The Palestinian Table, Reem Kassis (Phaidon)
- Philippines – French Kusina, Xavier Btesh ((Anvil)
- Portugal – Living the Xtra Virgin Life, Claudia Villax (Casa das Letras)
- Spain Castellano- Cocina Griega, Maria Zannia (Nobel)
- Spain Catalan – La gastronomia dels camins, Marisa Benavente. Pilar Herrera (Sidilla)
- Sweden – Azur, Joel Ahlin (NOK)
- Switzerland – Meze ohne Gronzen, Gabi Kopp (Rotpunkt)
- Turkey – Mediterranean Gourmet Cuisine for children, Aslihan Sabanci (Sedes)
- UAE – Khadija’s Kitchen, Salwan Alshaibani, Dr.Narine Abushakra (Pellbound Media)
- UK – Oklava, Selim Kiazim (Mitchell Beazley)
- USA – Lebanese Kitchen, Lucie Taboulie (St Martins)
Thanks to the invaluable help from the Monaco Government Tourist Office in New York and the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, authors Bradley Mitton and Zsolt Szemerszky are showcasing the most excellent restaurants in Monaco. This culinary guide offers its readers a unique experience as they offer a rare insight into the characters and personalities behind these wonderful gastronomical locations thanks to recipes and interviews with Executive Chefs who hold together over 50 Michelin stars.
This is an exceptional joint effort thanks to the supportive chefs include Alain Ducasse, Benoît Witz, Christophe Cussac, Christophe Dupuy, Dominique Lory, Jean-Claude Brugel, Joël Robuchon, Marcel Ravin, Paolo Sari, Philippe Joannès and Takéo Yamasaki as well as accommodating sommeliers including Damien Borghi, Noël Bajor, Frédéric Woelffle and Massimo Sacco.
Other Monaco related nominations:
- Recettes pour champions, Kuentz, Tiollier, Ostrow (AS Monaco-Sport Food Health) in the Sport and Nutrition category
- visitmonaco.com/restaurants nominated for the Best National Tourism website in Europe
The winners of the Gourmand Awards will be announced on May 26-27, 2018.
The Signature Dishes of the Principality of Monaco publication is available in English through:
As well as in Russian thanks to the generous translation of Olga Taran, the founder of HelloMonaco.com:
About the authors:
Europe’s culinary and preeminent gourmet wine expert Bradley Mitton offers his unique insight on the fine dining scene of the Principality of Monaco. Using his professional gastronomical knowledge, Bradley offers not just restaurant reviews, but exclusive interviews with the finest sommeliers in the Principality and unique wine pairings for the selected recipes.
“Monaco is a pearl perched on the cusp of the Mediterranean, offering iconic gastronomy that we are delighted to showcase in this fascinating book.” – Bradley Mitton
Bradley is also the author of the internationally published book „Around the World with Bradley Mitton: Wine Pairing Recipes“. In his first culinary cook-book he offers an array of international recipes and wine pairing tips resulting from his years working in top-flight gastronomy.
Providing gourmet wines to many of the finest restaurants in Monaco and the French Riviera and bringing people together through his lifestyle and gourmet club Club Vivanova, Bradley is a respected and established member of the fine dining scene of the Principality.
Since 2010 he has managed the unbiased relocation itinerary Monaco Wealth Management and he is the author of „Living in Monaco“. Both of these accomplishments are dedicated to those who are looking to relocate to the Principality of Monaco offering them reliable information and trusted service providers.
“This book is a compelling review on the heritage and lifestyle of Monaco, bringing together the past and present through an exceptional culinary journey.” – Zsolt Szemerszky
Zsolt is a passionate admirer of the Principality of Monaco and is committed to promote its core values including its family-oriented and cultural heritage. Offering his expertise from vast experience, Zsolt provides a compelling review on the heritage and lifestyle of Monaco bringing together the past and present.